The foot is a complex structure of 26 bones and 33 joints, layered with an intertwining maze of more than 120 ligaments, nerves and muscles. Leonardo Da Vinci (1452-1519) said it best: “The human foot is a masterpiece of engineering and a work of art”. When your feet aren’t correctly supported, they tend to over-pronate and flatten out. This can lead to a multitude of health problems, including aching feet and knees, shin splints, bunions, heel spurs, back and neck pain, balance problems and postural weakness.
Oasis Chiropractic Center provides orthotics to fit almost any patient’s needs.
A foot orthotic is an insole that can be inserted into the shoe to correct abnormalities in the alignment of the body, and any adverse effects attributed to these misalignments. It also helps align, support, prevent and or accommodate foot deformities and improve overall foot function. Used in conjunction with appropriate footwear, a foot Orthotic can be an effective way to treat a number of foot and lower limb problems including heel, arch and forefoot pain, shin splints, as well as pain and problems related to health conditions such as diabetes and arthritis.
• Gender: High-heeled shoes are often thought to be sexy and many women won’t leave home without them, however many also don’t realize the brutal strain high-heeled shoes have on feet. Women are at higher risk than most men for severe foot pain; most likely because of their shoe choices. Severe foot pain appears to be the leading cause of general disability in older women. Women who wear heels on a daily basis can suffer from not only back pain but also bunions, fallen arches, painful knees and even curvature of the spine. Not so sexy huh? Luckily we offer Orthotics designed to fit in most women’s fashion shoes, including high heels, pumps, platforms and even sandals.
• Occupational Risk Factors: Millions of US workers spend most of their working days on their feet. From Nurses, Emergency Room Doctors and Dentist to Hairdressers/barbers, Bar/hospitality staff and hotel desk clerks. So it’s no secret that working on your feet all day can really do a number on your feet. These people are very likely to suffer from some type of foot pain or discomfort and one point or another in there life time. Having the proper foot support can make the difference between working in comfort or pain, but most importantly, whether you stay healthy or get injured.
• Pregnancy: For woman who are pregnant tired and aching feet are very common, mainly due to rapid weight gain, swelling in their feet and ankles, overpronation a condition also called “flat feet”, plantar fasciitis and the release of certain hormones that cause ligaments to relax. In order to prevent or minimize these problems, it is important that pregnant women make sure their feet are getting adequate support.
• Sports: For many athletes, orthotics are practically a given. Custom-made orthotics keeps the foot in its most efficient position, allowing the muscles, ligaments, tendons and bones to work at 100% efficiency. They also protect the arch and heel from the unnatural and increased stress that prolonged running and sports activity can produce.Biomechanics and maintenance of proper foot alignment play a crucial part in developing the ideal golf swing. Several studies have demonstrated the benefits of foot orthotics for golfers. A 2001 study stated that “use of these custom orthoses reduced the effects of fatigue associated with playing 9 holes of golf; they could thus improve the likelihood of more consistent performance.So whether your sport is golf, cycling, soccer, basketball, football, baseball, skiing, running, triathlons or tennis, orthotics will definitely improve your game!Dr. My Starkman has helped hundreds of athletes just like you.
• Dancing: Dancing is a career for some, a form of recreational exercise and a way to relive stress and burn calories for many others. Dancers are a unique type of athlete, especially ballet dancers. Although one cannot argue that Dance is a beautiful form of expression it does however have strenuous and unusual demands on the body, particularly the feet. Dr. Starkman has been proud to have served the Miami City Ballet for over 15 years. So whether you’re a prima ballerina, a weekend salsa lover or even participate in a Zumba fitness program we are sure to have the right orthotic for you.
• Weight gain: It’s tough to be active, shed excess pounds and maintain a healthy lifestyle if your feet hurt constantly. Being overweight puts added stress on the feet and can lead to foot pain or ankle injuries. Being overweight or obese changes the way the foot functions entirely. Force on the foot increases severely when you carry extra weight. Steps are shorter; the feet angle out more and flattening of the foot is increased considerably. Multiple studies have shown greater frequency of plantar fasciitis, ball-of-foot pain, fractures, arthritis, tendonitis, and even sprains affecting the feet and ankles in patients who are overweight. Our office receives many personal trainer referrals who recommend that there clients consider an orthotic in order to help them improve there work out routine.
• Foot Conditions: Many foot problems like Plantar fasciitis, Fallen Arches and Flat Foot have a direct connection with abnormal foot structure, especially flat or flattening feet. Consequently, these conditions can be improved, slowed, or even prevented by inserts that take away the abnormal foot structure.
We can all reap the rewards of better biomechanics – better support, increased balance, greater agility and even better over all comfort from orthotics. Orthotics come in a variety of shapes, sizes, materials and purposes. Standard, dress and sport styles, along with orthotics for children, are just some of the options that are available to patients at Oasis Chiropractic Center in Miami.
Our products range from two types of custom orthotics to over the counter /ready to wear inserts, making our products and services as versatile as our patients.
We offer three brands of orthotics at Oasis Chiropractic Center, Foot Levelers, SOLE Supports and Spenco. If you’re thinking of making a worthwhile investment for the health of your feet, consult with Dr. Starkman to see which one is right for you. Below are links to videos with more information about the types of orthotics we offer at Oasis Chiropractic Center.
Custom-Made Spinal Pelvic Stabilizers provides a line of custom-made, flexible orthotics based on chiropractic research and innovative technology. It’s a unique form of in-shoe orthotics that helps hold your chiropractic adjustments in place to maintain alignment, reduce skeletal stress, and alleviate your pain.
Sole Supports are the only custom orthotics available today based on a completely new paradigm (MASS position) that was developed to actually change foot posture and function during weight-bearing activities. The corrected (MASS) position of the foot is captured by a unique casting technique that utilizes a certain density of foam and a sequence of semi-weight-bearing impressions that emulate healthy stance-phase gait (gait-referenced casting). The resulting shell fits the shape of the foot like a glove and is machine calibrated to have the right properties of flex and rigidity based on the patient’s weight, foot flexibility and activity level.
Spenco® Insole Products are made exclusively with closed-cell nitrogen-injected Spenco® material. This unique cushioning system provides a soft “comfort bubble environment” to help absorb shock, reduce friction and improve overall foot comfort. Spenco is a trusted brand name in the over the counter insole industry. They offer a variety of insoles that cater to a variety of foot needs including arches. We are proud to carry a large variety of products including Poly Sorb Total Support Sandals. Spenco Sandals unlike some other slip-ons are designed with orthotic-quality arch and heel support.
Think of your feet as the foundation to a house. If you have a crack in the ceiling you can patch it, but if you don’t fix the foundation structural problems are going to keep coming back. The same is true for your body.
Here’s to happy feet! Dr. Starkman has helped many athletes to overcome injury and get back to their sport. He also inspires patients from all walks of life to take control of their health and to be as happy and as healthy as they can possibly be. Isn’t it time for you to walk, feel and live a better life? Contact us today for your Orthotic consultation.